Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Summer Lovin' - Part 2

Last week, we introduced you to three amazing interns that have decided to spend their summer with us. This week, we feature three more that are donating their time and talents, and finding their own place in the circle.





Gilchrist Green


1. Where do you attend school and what else do you do outside of Thistle Farms?
I am going to be a senior at Ensworth High School.

2. Which department do you work with directly?
I have been helping with the Thistle Stop Café and I basically do any job Courtney, the Café Coordinator, asks of me! I have helped her with some administrative things but mostly I help wash dishes and serve customers.

3. How did you learn about Thistle Farms?
I found out about Thistle Farms through my Dad, who is friends with the Director of Development & PR, Marlei Olson, and through my cousin Caitlin Bradley, who also used to intern at Thistle Farms. I was an intern last year and had such a good time, I wanted to continue this summer as well.

4. Why did you decide to intern at Thistle Farms?
I wanted to be an intern because I am so drawn to the mission of Thistle Farms and I wanted to be a part of it and help in any way I could.

5. What skills are you learning here and what is something you'll take away from this experience?
At the Thistle Stop Café, I am learning how to run a restaurant and a lot about customer service. And just from working behind the counter, I've picked up on how to make coffee and espressos, which is exciting!

This biggest thing I think I'll take away from my experience at Thistle Farms is my relationship with the women. I have become close with the women who work in the Café, like Arletha, Ronza & Terry and I love talking to them and hearing their stories. I hope I can continue a relationship with each of them even after I leave.



 Kayla Deep

1. Where do you attend school and what else do you do outside of Thistle Farms?

I'm currently a junior at Sewanee: The University of the South.

2. Which department do you work with directly?
I'm so delighted to be working in the PR and Development sector of Thistle Farms. Usually, I get to work directly with Marlei Olson, who manages, among many, many other projects, donations to Magdalene and Thistle Farms. I have been assisting a lot in this department – making sure everyone who has generously contributed to Magdalene is recognized in the appropriate way. One of my favorite tasks is writing thank you notes. I'm a big note-writer myself and I know how much people usually appreciate them.

3. How did you learn about Thistle Farms?
I found out about Thistle Farms through Sewanee alma matter and Thistle Farms founder, Becca Stevens. I mentioned the organization to relatives in Nashville and they raved about the program!

4. Why did you decide to intern at Thistle Farms?
I decided to apply to be an intern because I wanted to see firsthand the workings of a nonprofit – the things people do day-to-day to make momentous change.

5. What skills are you learning here and what is something you'll take away from this experience?
What I have taken away most from this experience so far is the sheer importance of the little things – the intentional actions that enable healing each day. I've loved just being around Thistle Farms and hanging around with some of the strongest women I've ever met. Being on the inside for a little while has made Thistle Farms even more magical and special to me.


Kelsey Urness

1. Where do you attend school and what else do you do outside of Thistle Farms?

I go to Vanderbilt University. I love to read, babysit, participate in Vanderbilt Wishmakers and Relay for Life and travel.

2. Which department do you work with directly?
I am helping out in the Marketing/Sales department and have been doing sales analysis, working on the new product look, some conference work, and a bit with social media.

3. How did you learn about Thistle Farms?
I found out about Thistle Farms through my mom and my church.

4. Why did you decide to intern at Thistle Farms?
I've volunteered here in the past with my church and have always wanted to get more involved. I thought about interning here and talked to our dear family friend Lisa Froeb about it and her words made me want to start the next day.

5. What skills are you learning here and what is something you'll take away from this experience?
I am learning more about Excel and everything that goes into making a shift in a product look. Also, just how much work putting together a national conference is! The biggest thing that I will take away is learning how a non-profit functions, and how its wheel has so many turning parts that all depend on each other for success. I've only been here a little over a month but it couldn't be more apparent how much love really does heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment